The Case Analysis Unit at the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children® is responsible for providing direct analytical support to law enforcement for missing and unidentified deceased child cases.
To request assistance contact the NCMEC Call Center at 1-800-THE-LOST® (1-800-843-5678). Analysts can assist law enforcement by:
- Developing intelligence information using donated public records databases, the National Crime Information Center, Nlets and the Internet.
- Searching databases of attempted abductions and sex offenders within the region of critical missing child cases.
- Batching of active cases through public record and federal databases to locate names/aliases, addresses, phone numbers, Social Security numbers, dates of birth, dates of death and potential booking or incarceration information.
- Searching NCIC to check hot files and confirm status for children or abductors.
- Searching Nlets for vehicle registration and driver's license information.
- Sending administrative messages through Nlets with an offer of assistance.
- Searching the NCMEC and NCIC databases for possible matches to an unidentified child.
- Assisting in cold case reviews, possibly by locating family members for DNA submission.
- Providing large-scale aerial and topographic maps for grid searching purposes in critical missing child cases.
- Reviewing leads through NCMEC's Call Center to provide additional value and associate unrelated leads to a NCMEC case. Additionally, these leads are distributed daily to investigators and state missing children's clearinghouses for further dissemination to law enforcement agencies.